Work Experience and Industry Placements
Making you more employable with quality work experience alongside your studies
If you are between 16 and 18 years old and on a full-time course with us, you will need to complete a Work Experience Placement. This involves working at a local business which is in the same industry as your course, i.e. if you are taking a boatbuilding qualification, you may work at a boat yard. The minimum amount of time you would spend on work experience is one week but this will change depending on your course. This will add immense value to your studies, giving you a much more rounded experience of the subject and providing you with a career edge when you look to enter the workplace.
If you are on a level 3 course your work experience will take the form of an Industry Placement. An Industry Placement is a minimum of 315 hours (approx. 45 days) and involves actively contributing to the workplace whilst working on targets which you have set yourself. These targets may be hard skills i.e. knowledge and skills related to the industry, as well as soft skills i.e. behaviours, values and employability.
The Industry Placement and Work Experience Placement that you undertake will depend on your course and circumstances. This will be discussed in more detail at your interview.See all Vacancies
Read our guideWork Placement Consent Form
An Industry Placement is an opportunity to improve your employability skills and gain industry relevant experience. As a student with us, you are able to benefit from a new 45-day Industry Placement pilot managed by our Skills to Business team.
(If you already have a part-time job this could be used as your Industry Placement, as long as it is relevant to your course.)
- Commit to a minimum of 45 days of work experience, in a one year period
- You will get a work plan, evidence of your experience for future job applications and feedback on where you can improve your skills.
- Record your hours of attendance at the placement
- You may also be eligible for a bursary of up to £100 to help with travelling costs.
What are the benefits for you?
- Raise your profile with potential employer, either as an apprentice or full-time employee after your college course is completed.
- Gain a reference to help you with job applications in the future
- Gain an additional certificate on top of your course