‘Equality and Diversity’ – what does it mean? E&D refers to valuing and respecting individual differences, and ensuring equality of opportunity regardless of personal and social characteristics. The Cornwall College Group (TCCG) is committed to ensuring people can learn and work without discrimination; where fairness is promoted and everyone is given the opportunity to achieve. We are creating a culture of tolerance and respect; where individual differences are not only valued but celebrated.
We believe that positively engaging with the diversity of our staff and student body will make us better placed to provide the best possible experience for learners, improve staff satisfaction, strengthen our decision-making and thus impact our overall performance. Hence why we have added ‘Inclusion’ to our title and strategy; to enable a fully inclusive approach that recognises the diverse range of skills, knowledge, experience and talents that our staff, students and partnerships bring to the College.
The College works actively towards eliminating discrimination, harassment, bullying and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010. The law applies to the College and individual members of staff, and it is the responsibility of ALL to ensure that our College is a safe, nurturing and successful environment.
We have a strategy document and action plan that outline how together, we can build on the equality work that has already started to achieve our objectives whilst identifying actions for improvement.
In order for us to exceed the requirements of the equality duty, the promotion of British values and our own aims for inclusivity, we have five main objectives for 2018-2021, however it must be noted that these objectives and our commitment to this area goes beyond compliance and meeting legal requirements. By cultivating equality of opportunity we can access the widest possible talent pool of staff and students and add to the richness of our wider communities in line with the TCCG Strategic Plan.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Objectives 2018-21
Empower our staff and students to be themselves; embrace uniqueness, respect difference and encourage confidence.
Place the Learner Voice at the heart of everything we do, working with core teams and the CCSU to expand on ‘You said, we did’.
Demonstrate a clear development of EDI in our teaching and learning, whilst utilising data to address gaps in performance and achievement.
Work within our communities to be a leader in the area of inclusion and advance equality of opportunity and access for all.Celebrate: our staff, students, stakeholders and successes.
- Support students to learn and realise their potential
- Be a good employer by observing best practice in all aspects of employment
- Make relevant information publically available on our website
- Ensure that all statutory requirements are met including all provisions within the Equality 2010 Act
- Provide training to ensure all staff and students understand our values and the requirements of law
Members of staff and our governing body will:
- Observe the College values
- Act within the Equality Act 2010
- Promote equality of opportunity and equality of outcome
- Act in accordance with College policies and statements on EDI
- Recognise and challenge discriminatory behaviour especially where linked to any protected characteristics
- Create a safe environment free from harassment and discrimination
- Deal with incidents and complaints seriously and with respect
The College expects all its students and visitors to:
- Observe College values
- Act in accordance with both the law and College policies
- Report to the College any actions which are discriminatory
We expect all our partner organisations (including sub-contractors, employers of our apprentices and other work-based learners) to abide by this policy statement.
Monitoring our Progress
TCCG’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee is responsible for monitoring the College’s progress against the objectives set out in the EDI Strategy and Action Plan and will advise and update the Executive Leadership Team and Board of Governors on progress and identified actions for improvement. The EDI committee is made up of staff and student representatives and meets at least termly. In addition the College has policies on matters such as the availability of support, conduct and how to report a complaint.
If you have any comments for the committee; wish to highlight areas of good practice or report an issue concerning EDI, please email email@example.com