Zoological conservation is concerned with maintaining the wonderful diversity of animal life (including invertebrates) that exists on our planet. Involving the protection and management of animal populations and their habitats in order to minimise the harmful effects human activities may have on them.
The programme gives you the skills required to help conserve wild animals by developing your knowledge in topics such as ecology, biodiversity, animal nutrition, captive breeding and reintroduction, conservation of aquatic organisms, and primate behaviour and learning. You will also gain first-hand experience in observing, surveying and the occasional handling of animals.
As well as traditional lectures, fieldwork and laboratory work, you will take part in workshops delivered by animal and wildlife experts from organisations such as the Cornwall Wildlife Trust, the National Trust and RSPCA. Guest speakers play an important role in your learning and they are used regularly to provide more expert knowledge in some of the specialised modules.
Working in industry is the very essence of a foundation degree and as such you will also undertake work experience locally or overseas. This opportunity helps you to develop graduatelevel skills that will help you in any job. Work placements and the contacts you make may well be your link to employment on completing the programme.
Possible Progression (subject to availability)
– BSc (Hons) Applied Zoology (top-up) at Newquay
– BSc (Hons) Animal Conservation Science final year at Plymouth University
– BSc (Hons) Environmental Resource Management at Camborne
– BSc (Hons) Conservation Biology final year at Plymouth University
– BSc (Hons) Environmental Biology final year at Plymouth University
– Conservation Officer
– Research Assistant
– Reserves Manager
– Zoo Education Officer
– Wildlife Conservationist
- UCAS Code: C390
- Institution codes: CORN C78
- Awarded by: Cornwall College & Plymouth University
48 UCAS points from AS and A-Levels (at least 32 points must be at A2-level) or relevant level 3 qualification, ie BTEC National Diploma / BTEC Extended Diploma - PPP Grades required (specific unit grades may be requested). Access to HE Diplomas in a relevant subject - 45 credits at level 3 (specific unit grades may be requested). Plus GCSEs at grade C/grade 4 or above in English Language, Science and Mathematics: alternatives at Level 2 may be considered. Mature applicants with relevant experience but without the stated qualifications will be considered individually and are encouraged to apply.
Cornwall College Group has been awarded silver in Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)Find out more about TEF
Share this course with someone you know...
Indicative Module Year 1
- Introduction to Animal Behaviour
- Introduction to Ecology
- Introduction to Zoology
- Hygiene, Health & Welfare of Captive Animals
- Diversity, Classification & Evolution
- Personal & Employability Skills Development
Indicative Module Year 2
- Primate Behaviour & Cognition
- Genetics for Conservation
- Captive Diet & Feeding
- Conservation in Practice
- Disease & Disease Control
- Individual Research Project
- Vertebrate Zoology & Conservation
- Aquaria & Conservation of Aquatic Organisms
- Insect Biology & Conservation
- Marine Vertebrate Biology & Conservation
- Avian Behaviour & Ecology
*Modules are subject to change and availability
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.
Careers advice available
If you are considering an undergraduate programme with us, you may wish to access our free Careers and Employability advice service. This gives you the opportunity to talk with an advisor about career options before, during and after your study with us. To make an appointment, please e-mail: H.E.Advice@cornwall.ac.uk
If you come into the International category (non EU*) and Channel Island (inc. Isle of Man) the tuition fee may vary – click here for full fee information