This Level 3 course will provide you with the knowledge and skills to work as an Exercise Referral Instructor.
Share this course with someone you know...
You are already qualified in fitness instructing, personal training or have an equivalent qualification and want to gain employment as an exercise referral instructor.
To be aged 16 years or over and you must hold one or more of the following:
- Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Pilates
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
Level 3 Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise and Health & Applying the Principles of Nutrition to a Physical Activity Programme are essential pre-requisites.
- The principles of collecting information to plan an exercise referral programme, the principles of risk stratification in exercise referral and the principles and procedures of record keeping.
- How to identify goals with exercise referral patients and instruct, adapt and review exercise sessions with these patients. How to plan, prepare, monitor and adapt an exercise referral programme with patients and understand the importance of long term behaviour change for these patients.
- The current healthcare systems in the UK, the exercise referral process, the roles and responsibilities of the professional with an exercise referral scheme and the role and importance of exercise referral, related policies and key documents.
- The concept of a patient-centred approach.
- The clinical features of medical conditions relevant to exercise referral programmes, the relationship between exercise and specified exercise referral medical conditions, the accepted methods for treatment/management of medical conditions relevant to exercise referral programmes and how to programme safe, effective exercise programmes for patients with specified exercise referral medical conditions.
Skills relating to this qualification:
- Collect and analyse nutritional information and apply the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme.
- Collect information about exercise referral patients and prepare patients and resources for exercise referral sessions.
- Instruct, adapt, conclude and review exercise referral session. Agree goals, plan, manage, review progress and adapt an exercise referral programme with exercise referral patients.
To attend college one day a week on a Tuesday at our Camborne campus.
Employment as an exercise referral instructor and you will be eligible to register onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs).
You could also progress onto further study such as a Level 4 qualification.
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility. The Cornwall College Group reserves the right to withdraw any course listed at any time.