It is imperative that greenhouse gas emissions are reduced, one way or another. This programme is for those who wish to play a part in contributing to that goal, whether through work in the energy industry or through the wider field of carbon management.
It covers sustainable energy generation technologies and systems of energy and carbon management, promoting the practical experience and problem-solving ability that will set you apart from others in this field.
You will study the rationale for pressing ahead with low carbon solutions and the specifics of several energy generation and conservation technologies, such as solar, tidal, wind, wave and biomass. A mixture of lectures, practical sessions, field trips, state-of-the-art online learning materials and frequent meetings with your tutors and employers, will provide a terrific environment in which to master this material.
Problem-based learning and coursework assessments will repeatedly take you into the role of professionals in the field; so that you gain first-hand experience in industry standard techniques and methods at domestic, community and commercial level.
This programme can also be studied as a one year top-up where you will complete Year 3 only.
Possible Progression (subject to availability)
- Biological Science Research Masters at Newquay
- MSc Hydrography at University of Plymouth
- MSc/PgDip Sustainable Environmental Management at University of Plymouth
- MSc Marine Renewable Energy at University of Plymouth
- MSc Sustainable Development at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus
- MSc International Supply Chain Management at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus
- MSc Climate Change & Risk Management at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus
- MRes Climate Change Impacts & Feedbacks at the University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus
- Energy Manager in the Public and Private Sector
- Carbon Manager
- Energy and Sustainability Consultant
- Sustainability Manager
- Energy Systems Designer
- Low Carbon Projects Manager
- Low Carbon Construction Manager
- Low Carbon Procurement Officer
- Planning Officer with Renewable Energy Expertise
The application process for full-time and part-time degree level courses with The Cornwall College Group starting in September 2017 is still open and we are taking applications. Full-time applicants should apply via UCAS and part-time applicants directly via the College website.
- UCAS Code: H221
- Institution codes: CORN C78
- Awarded by: University of Plymouth
80 UCAS points from AS and A-Levels (at least 56 points must be at A2-level) or relevant level 3 qualification. Plus GCSEs at grade C/grade 4 or above in English language and maths. Mature applicants with relevant experience but without the stated qualifications will be considered individually and are encouraged to apply.
Cornwall College Group has been awarded silver in Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)Find out more about TEF
Share this course with someone you know...
Course DocumentsBSc (Hons) Renewable Energy & Carbon Management
Indicative Modules Year 1
- Personal & Employability Skills Development
- Quantitative Methods
- Sustainable Energy Futures
- Carbon Footprints & Carbon Accounting
- Electrical Principles
- Energy from Biomass
- Thermodynamics & Heat Transfer
- Marine & Hydroelectric Energy
Indicative Modules Year 2
- Sustainable Energy Management
- Sustainable Architecture
- Solar Energy
- Geothermal Energy
- Wind Energy
- Carbon Management
Options (choose 2)
- Mechanics, Materials & Structures
- Data Modelling & Processing
- Managing Change
- Sustainable Transport Policy
Indicative Module Year 3
- Research Project
- GIS & Environmental Impact Assessment
- Environmental Sustainability & Economics
- Environmental Strategy & Marketing
Options (choose one)
- Community-scale Renewable Energy
- Supply Chains
*Modules are subject to change and availability
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.
Careers advice available
If you are considering an undergraduate programme with us, you may wish to access our free Careers and Employability advice service. This gives you the opportunity to talk with an advisor about career options before, during and after your study with us. To make an appointment, please e-mail: H.E.Advice@cornwall.ac.uk
If you come into the International category (non EU*) and Channel Island (inc. Isle of Man) the tuition fee may vary – click here for full fee information