Preparing for Progression from College (Moving On) is a 1-2 year course for adults with learning difficulties and disabilities which aims to help prepare you to better manage your life choices. It will enhance your independent living skills whilst also helping to improve your employability skills. You will love how much your self-confidence and social skills improve.
As well as focussing on academic skills and work experience, this course is about helping to promote essential life skills such as independence, perseverance and resilience. It includes a focus on you taking personal responsibility for yourself and for your learning. Communication skills are embedded into all aspects of the course as are problem solving skills. The course also helps you to build your self-confidence and self-esteem in a supportive environment.
The course runs for 2 days per week. You may study 1 to 2 years depending on individual needs and the course is aimed at 19+ adults with additional needs.
** As an adult you may be eligible to pay course fees – Please contact us for more information**
Share this course with someone you know...
You would like to progress to either paid or voluntary employment and live more independently.
There are no formal entry requirements, however to access this course you will need to have evidence of additional learning needs such as an EHC Plan. You will complete initial assessments to establish what level of maths and English study may be suitable for you.
- Employability skills – including CV writing, interview practice, practice completing job application forms and making telephone calls and sending emails.
- Enterprise project – you will get involved in a series of enterprise projects which will involve making products and selling them for a profit. This will enhance your budgeting and money management skills as well as focusing on crucial teamwork skills.
- Sport & Healthy Living – You may be able to take part in sports and other physical activities as well as having the opportunity to take part in various outdoor pursuits.
- Maths & English – You will study maths and English at a level appropriate to you. These skills are studied in discrete sessions as well as being embedded throughout the whole curriculum. You will be instrumental in deciding which topics you would most benefit from in your maths and English sessions. These will include CV writing, filling in application forms, money management and budgeting, communication skills for interview, making telephone calls etc.
- Independent living skills – may be developed through the use of our independent living suites and through off site visits to community venues.
To attend college 2 days per week.
Learning a diverse range of skills to prepare you for independent living.
Progression from this course will include a better opportunity to gain either paid or voluntary employment and live more independently.
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility. The Cornwall College Group reserves the right to withdraw any course listed at any time.