This department focuses on building your confidence in learning, employability & independent living. All programmes are tailored to each individual learner, with effective teaching that involves providing each student with different avenues to learning, often in the same classroom. We have dedicated foundation learning areas, as well as experienced tutors who will help you reach your full potential.
This one to three year course is designed to prepare you for independent living, allowing you to build your teamwork skills whilst improvinge your maths & English. You will take part in engaging activities that positively assess your development throughout the duration of the course. You will love how much your self-confidence improves.
This course is aimed at 16 – 24 year olds with additional needs. It runs for 4 days per week, with learners studying for 1 to 3 years depending on individual need.
Share this course with someone you know...
You would like to develop your independent living skills.
There are no formal entry requirements, however to access this course you will need to have evidence of additional learning needs such as an EHC Plan.
How to prepare yourself for independent living, build your teamwork skills, and improve your English and mathematics.
- Art & Craft - You will work with mixed media to create artwork which will culminate in an end of year exhibition in our pop up art studio.
- Cookery & Healthy Living – You will learn about healthy eating and healthy lifestyles as well as learning basic cookery skills in our fully equipped training kitchens and independent learning suites which will enable you to develop your independence.
- Horticulture –You will learn basic horticulture skills including cultivation of a variety of plants as well as developing employability skills within maintenance of the grounds.
- Animal Care – You will have the opportunity to use our specialist animal care facilities where you will learn the basic skills required to handle and look after small pets to larger farm animals.
- ICT – You will study a wide range of topics including using Email, using the internet safely and IT fundamentals.
- Sport & Healthy Living – You will be able to take part in sports and other physical activities in our sports hall and gym as well as have the opportunity to take part in various outdoor pursuits such as sailing and kayaking. You may also wish to become part of the Boccia team who has recently reached the Southwest finals.
- Music/Dance/Drama – Express yourself and be creative in our music, dance and drama sessions. You may have the opportunity to take part in performances across the year.
- Independent Living – You will have access to our independent living suites which will allow you to develop basic household skills. You will also have opportunities to visit local shops and places within the community to enhance your independence.
- Maths & English – You will study maths and English at a level appropriate to you. These skills are studied in discrete sessions as well as being embedded throughout the whole curriculum.
**Some of these options are subject the site that you study on**
Your assessment and progress will be assessed based on an individually tailored RARPA (Recognising and Recording Progress & Achievement) programme that focusses on individual targets and goals which are linked to outcomes set within and Education, Health and care Plan as well as your individual goals and aspirations. Throughout the year your targets will be regularly reviewed and a portfolio of your learning will be produced.
How much your self-confidence and social skills improve during this course.
Our Pathfinder Entry Level 2, Pathways to Employment or Moving courses.
"I really like sport especially boccia and when I finish college I would like to work in IT." Julieanne Greenough - Foundation Learning student
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility. The Cornwall College Group reserves the right to withdraw any course listed at any time.