This department focuses on building your confidence in learning, employability and independent living with all programmes tailored to each individual learner, with effective teaching that involves providing each student with different avenues to learning, often in the same classroom. We have dedicated foundation learning areas and experienced tutors who will help you reach your full potential.
This course is ideal if you enjoy practical work and would like to experience a range of vocational options while being supported with your learning. In order to make the most of the course you must be keen to try a variety of vocational options, including animal care, horticulture, art, catering, sport, childcare and ICT, all designed to help you decide what you might like to do as a job.
You may study on this course for 1-4 years depending on your level of entry. These courses are ideal if you enjoy practical work and would like to experience a range of vocational options while being supported with your learning.
In order to make the most of the course you must be keen to try a variety of vocational options, including animal care, horticulture, art, catering, sport, childcare and ICT, all designed to help you decide what you might like to do as a job. You will learn new skills, build your teamwork skills, your independence and your confidence, as well as improve your English and maths.
These courses run for 3-4 days per week depending on the level of study and are aimed towards 16-24 year olds with additional needs.
Share this course with someone you know...
You enjoy practical work and would like to experience a range of vocational options while being supported with your learning.
There are no formal entry requirements, however to access this course you will need to have evidence of additional learning needs such as an EHC Plan. You will complete initial assessments to establish what level of course may be suitable for you.
You will learn new skills, build your teamwork skills, your independence and your confidence, as well as improve your English and maths.
- Art & Craft - You will work with mixed media to create artwork which will culminate in an end of year exhibition.
- Cookery & Healthy Living – You will learn about healthy eating and healthy lifestyles as well as learning basic cookery skills in our fully equipped training kitchens which will enable you to develop your independence.
- Horticulture – You will learn basic horticulture skills including cultivation of a variety of plants as well as developing employability skills within maintenance of the grounds.
- Animal Care/Agriculture – You will have the opportunity to use our specialist animal care facilities where you will learn the basic skills required to handle and look after small pets to larger farm animals.
- Equine Studies – learn basic equine skills such as riding and caring for horses.
- ICT – You will study a wide range of topics including using Email, using the internet safely and IT fundamentals.
- Sport & Healthy Living – You will be able to take part in sports and other physical activities in our sports hall and gym as well as have the opportunity to take part in various outdoor pursuits such as sailing and kayaking.
- Drama – Express yourself and be creative in our drama sessions. You may have the opportunity to take part in performances across the year.
- Construction – Learn basic construction skills in our specialist facilities.
- Independent Living – You will have access to our independent living suites which will allow you to develop basic household skills. You will also have opportunities to visit local shops and places within the community to enhance your independence.
- Travel & Tourism/Customer Services - Tourism is a big industry in Cornwall. You will have the opportunity to research and visit local tourist attractions and develop your customer service skills within our College shop.
- Study Skills- If you are thinking of progressing to a higher level programme or maintaining progress on your current course you will learn key study skills which will support your further learning.
- Maths & English – You will study maths and English at a level appropriate to you. These skills are studied in discrete sessions as well as being embedded throughout the whole curriculum.
**Some of these options are subject the site that you study on**
A choice of a range of vocational options including (but not limited to); animal care, horticulture, art, sport, catering, childcare and ICT.
On the Pathfinder Entry 2 programme you will be working towards either the Edexcel BTEC Skills for Independence and Work or City and Guilds Skills for Working Life qualifications. As well as being assessed on an individually tailored RARPA (Recognising and Recording Progress & Achievement) programme that focusses on individual targets and goals which are linked to outcomes set within and Education, Health and care Plan as well as your individual goals and aspirations. Throughout the year your targets will be regularly reviewed and a portfolio of your learning will be produced.
On the Pathfinder Entry 3 programme you will be working towards the Edexcel BTEC Entry Level Vocational Studies or City and Guilds for Working Life qualification where you will be assessed by completing individual portfolios and assignments.
The choice of vocational options available that help you to decide what you want to do as a job as well as the enrichment activities such as enterprise, volunteering and adventure education.
Upon completion of the entry 2 programme you may be able to progress on to the entry level 3 or Pathway to Employment courses. Upon completion of the entry 3 course you may be able to progress on level 1 courses within the College, Pathways to Employment course or employment.
College is great fun. My favourite subjects are English, drama and sport and I also like working on the farm with the animals.” Richard Kelly - Foundation Learning student
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.