This course looks into many aspects of planning an attractive and functional garden layout. Each week we study a different element of the design process.
Available at Bicton College and Rosemoor, North Devon.
Share this course with someone you know...
You would like to gain a Level 2 Certificate and have a keen interest in garden design.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.
- Site surveying – measure the site to draw a base plan to scale (normally 1:100). Take into consideration a number of factors that may affect your design e.g. soil type, aspect, location of facilities, views, eyesores etc.
- Client’s brief – working out what features are required in the garden for the garden user’s needs.
- Use of equipment in garden design – drawing equipment for the designs themselves or surveying and measuring equipment.
- Principles of design – following a number of prescribed underlying principles to make the most of your design and garden.
- Selection of hard and soft landscaping materials – use of hard landscaping materials and plants to incorporate into the design.
- Problem solving in the garden.
- Evaluating the work of other designers – looking at the work of a number of modern designers to evaluate their work and possibly use elements in your own design. This should broaden your ideas.
- Drawing concept plans – starting by drawing up a range of ideas that will be incorporated into your design.
- Drawing a plan – to a scale of 1:100 as a final design.
This course runs at Bicton College, set in an area of outstanding natural beauty.
The course will run for 36 weeks.
Using an allocated area at the college site to create your own design. Alternatively you could use your own garden.
You could choose to continue your studies and progress onto a higher qualification.
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.