The aim of AMTRA (Animal Medicines Training Regulatory Authority) Merchants Courses is to equip those who qualify to be eligible for inclusion on the AMTRA Register of Suitably Qualified Persons and to undertake responsibility for registered premises. The course provides an understanding of animal husbandry, including the causes and control of diseases in farm livestock, horses, cats and dogs. A knowledge of the law relating to the sale and supply of licensed animal medicines and the principles of good merchandising practice.
Please note that you will need to register with AMTRA to get your course manual, this is not done by Bicton once you have booked your place on the course.
Please also note there is no on-site accommodation available at Bicton College.
3 days plus exam
Applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
The exam must be booked with AMTRA by sending the Exam Booking form, found in your manual or call AMTRA on 01359 245801
What You Will Study
Intended Learning Outcomes:
- Relate Veterinary Medicine Directorate Code of Practice to the role of a Registered Qualified Person (RQP) as defined in the current Veterinary Medicines Regulations.
- Appreciate the function of the body systems and relate to animal disease and the function of Veterinary Medicines.
Veterinary Medicine Regulations 2005 (and subsequent revisions):
- Scope of the VMD Code of Practice and the role of the RQP;
- Animal Medicine Classification; POM-V, POM-VPS, NFA-VPS, AVMGSL;
- Registered premises; Buildings, storage, temperature control etc.;
- Prescribing and/or supplying authorised veterinary medicines to owners/keepers of relevant animals, records, splitting of packs etc.;
- SARSS and enforcement.
Body Systems: structure and function of cardiovascular, digestive, excretory, respiratory, immune musculoskeletal, reproductive and integumentory systems.
Nature of medicine: routes of medicine into and through the body and implication of medicine choice.
Disease Challenges: endoparasites, ectoparasites, micro organisms and nutritional diseases and deficiencies.
For more information please contact Hayley on 01395 562408.
Share this course with someone you know...
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.